Same Riff??? (Riff-Off)

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
The Sentinel

Post by The Sentinel »

daniel wrote:HOLY TERROR's 'Debt of Pain' rips off AGENT STEEL's 'Back To Reign', exact same riffs in places and even the same lyrics in the chorus; 'Feeling down and out...'.
I think Kurt Colfelt used this riff in both bands
Long Live The Loud !!!
daniel

Post by daniel »

Well you can still rip off yourself ;) Don't see why they had to use the same lyrics in the chorus.

Another thing that popped into my head; one of the tracks on THE WIZAR'D's 'Smouldering Sinners' 7", can't remember if it's the A or B-side since I haven't listened to it in a while, but one of them's straight from 'Chains of Death' by DEATH SS. I don't much enjoy 'tributes' like this, I would feel far too ashamed stealing riffs off bands I like.
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

I had made a huge list of "Songs with stolen riffs" with a friend of mine, i don't know if i still have it, i'll surely post it if i find it, some "coincidences" were simply jawdropping...
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
PsychoDad

Post by PsychoDad »

Stormwitch ripped a complete Strawbs song on their 2004 album Witchcraft. I don't remember the name of the Stormwitch song right now and I don't have the cd here. But i think the Strawbs song was "Autumn" from Hero and Heroine. I think the Stormwitch guys knew, as did we, that this album was extremely weak so they had to come up with something good and I guess stealing was their only way to do that...but they even failed at that.
MEXDefenderOfSteel

Post by MEXDefenderOfSteel »

daniel wrote:HOLY TERROR's 'Debt of Pain' rips off AGENT STEEL's 'Back To Reign', exact same riffs in places and even the same lyrics in the chorus; 'Feeling down and out...'.

DER KAISER used a riff from QUEENSRYCHE's 'NM156' on 'L'Arene' (from 'La Griffe De L'Empire'), the part after the softer intro, it's simply a bit faster and more prominent.
The Holy Terror song is a little bit obvious, it was the ex-Agent Steel guitarrist who made it, the two of them are hymns of speed metal :twisted:
daniel

Post by daniel »

Well no one had mentioned it so I did.

I know I've noticed lots of other ones but it's been a while since I gave it any thought, should spend an afternoon going through records haha.
daniel

Post by daniel »

Try playing MANOWAR's 'Warlord' back to back with AVALANCHE's 'Tortured Defender' ;)

Then watch BAD NEWS doing the video for 'Warriors of Ghengis Khan' and put on ARAGORN's 'Noonday', ...when the main riff kicks in :lol:
Are you the tyrant, who cast them to the sea?
One day you'll be among the dead.
mordred

Post by mordred »

ZOMBIE wrote:I saw this and remembered the greatest Angelwitch Rip-Off : In Sinister History LP details , Kevin Heybourne blames Candlemass for stealing a demo song -''The Night Is Calling'' exactly. Truth is that Mr.Heybourne was raped not by Candlemass but by Nemesis. The stolen track is ''Goodnight'' from Day Of Retribution MLP. Not just similar - the two tracks are IDENTICAL .I wonder what Mr.Edling has to say about...
Edling comments on this in the liner notes to the latest cd reissue of the Nemesis EP. On that one, the track is credited "music and lyrics by Kevin Heybourne". Edling admits it was a total Angel Witch ripoff, but that he never meant to have it on the records. Apparently the whole EP was a demo that was submitted to Fingerprint and they released the complete demo as an album without asking the band first and thus the Angelwitch "cover" ended on the record against their plas. At least that's his explanation nowadays. :wink:
Chroming Rose “Pressure” LP found! :D
GJ

Post by GJ »

Sinner (Judas Priest) and Run if you can (Accept)

Not exactly the same riffs but still it seems that Accept sort of developed their riff out of the Priest one, using the same rhythm pattern... two great songs all the same.

On the other hand: Avalanche (again!!!) - Child of Damnation (side one, track 5 as the label but not the back of the sleeve tells you) is pretty much a not very well disguised (but badly preformed) Rime of the Ancient Mariner edited down for radio-friendly playing time.

Now playing: FM (CAN) - Silence (Ah, those mandolins! A nice intermission between Breaker (GER) - Rapist Killer/Streetfighter and Black Death - Scream of the Iron Messiah)
Hellride Mike

Post by Hellride Mike »

I can't remember which song off the top of my head, but there is one on Grim Reaper's "Bleed 'Em Dry" demo the it would be easy to think Jag Panzer later stole for "Warfare".......
Cochino

Post by Cochino »

There's a Megaslaughter song (I think it is Death Remains) that has a riff a little bit to similar to Piranha of Exodus. I mean, if you're gonna steal a riff, try not to do it to such a big band, 'cause it won't pass unnoticed.
A historic argentinean ripoff is Hermeticas guitarrist. For example, a song called Deja De Robar (which can be translated don't steal anymore, or something like that) has a riff that is a total rip off of Anthrax's Howling Furies. A song that sings about stop stealing, haha, the irony. The saddest part is that most "metalheads" here don't know that Anthrax album and treat that song as an absolute classic.
MEXDefenderOfSteel

Post by MEXDefenderOfSteel »

Cochino wrote:There's a Megaslaughter song (I think it is Death Remains) that has a riff a little bit to similar to Piranha of Exodus. I mean, if you're gonna steal a riff, try not to do it to such a big band, 'cause it won't pass unnoticed.
A historic argentinean ripoff is Hermeticas guitarrist. For example, a song called Deja De Robar (which can be translated don't steal anymore, or something like that) has a riff that is a total rip off of Anthrax's Howling Furies. A song that sings about stop stealing, haha, the irony. The saddest part is that most "metalheads" here don't know that Anthrax album and treat that song as an absolute classic.
from which album is that Anhtrax song??? imma check it out
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

MEXDefenderOfSteel wrote:
Cochino wrote:There's a Megaslaughter song (I think it is Death Remains) that has a riff a little bit to similar to Piranha of Exodus. I mean, if you're gonna steal a riff, try not to do it to such a big band, 'cause it won't pass unnoticed.
from which album is that Anhtrax song??? imma check it out
Fistful Of Metal.........
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
Nightlock

Post by Nightlock »

BY FAAAR the best Anthrax release SPPPEEEEEED MEEETAAAAAL!
"On your knees
Into the night that you'll never remember"
Stormspell

Post by Stormspell »

When it comes to stealing, notthing can compare to songlifter masters like ICEBERG and IMPULSE. Those bands used to lift off entire songs, write own lyrics, and credit the songs to themselves:

ICEBERG - Breathless = FLOTSAM & JETSAM - Suffer the Masses
ICEBERG - The Wizard = GALAXY GROUP - Ya Metal
ICEBERG - the Ballad = STORMWITCH - Tears by the firelight
ICEBERG - Surce ot Stomana = PRETTY MAIDS - Savage Heart

Also AGENT STEEL's The Day at Guyana has been dissected and used all over "HERETIC" album, along with riffs from Candlemass and Iron Maiden among many others :)

IMPULSE - Gladiator is full with riffs lifted off Racer X, including one entire song...

We will see when IMPULSE finally release the long-lost "Iron Rod" album how many riffs have been lifted and from where :lol: