Why Do You Like Obscure Metal?

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
iron_servant

Post by iron_servant »

The deal with those obscure bands we are talking about, is that they just offer their very own and unique perspective about how metal should be performed I think. I find it extremely interesting to see how heavy metal was played in Eastern Europe-countries and former Soviet Union, for example. The limitation of western society influences pretty much forced those bands to create their own thing. Of course you always have all those classic Euro/US favourite bands with you, but searching and discovering "forgotten treasures" can be seen as a another, metal related hobby if I say so.

Also each country has their own sound and atmosphere which can not be created elsewhere. Exotic languages are always interesting in Metal also.

There's enough reasons for my obscure metal passion!
lions roar

Post by lions roar »

well , back in the old days i used to be into the black metal scene(playing+listening) i always looked for demos , thus very soon i was into finding the "rare" ones ... when i had about enough of what black metal became in the end of the 90's (i hear now its even worse) i tried to look back to what i liked when i started ...thrash and heavy metal. i knew most big and semi-big bands , yet i was sure "this cannot be all of it" ,since my experience with black and other extreme metal thought me that there are a lot more bands out there then just the big bands , i started digging ...few rare-not-so-known thrash albums from the past gave me some direction what to ask about when i meet a new traders or what to look for when i get new catalogue ,in the heavy metal department i guess metallica's nwobhm covers helped .and then the internet came along :)

i basically aim to find good bands ... i do see a lot of "80's trash" as well along the way while hunting,which i don't like at all.

i guess my love for archaeology and history contributed to the "hunting" passion to some degree . :)
Keir

Post by Keir »

I really can't put my finger on just one reason, there are a lot of factors that contribute to my love of obscure metal.

1. The treasure hunt is a small part of it. I think that is part of why I got into compilations in particular. It's almost like a game - you never know what you're going to get but when you do stumble across an unkown gem it is a great feeling.

2. The historian in me thinks of 80s metal as like a giant puzzle, with each album being a piece of the puzzle that helps to show the greater picture. As with a real puzzle, the obscure bands are just as important as any other.

3. I think this was mentioned, but one reason a band remains obscure is that they dared to be different from the rest. That makes them interesting to me, both musically and on a more personal level.

4. Despite all the above, I do believe that even my favorite obscure records are not as good as the best releases by Maiden, Priest, Scorpions, etc. However, you can only listen to those so many times before even they start to become boring, and music should never be boring.
rumblefist

Re: Why Do You Like Obscure Metal?

Post by rumblefist »

It happens that lots of bands that i listen, some friends consider to be too much of obscurity for them.
I also have the will to discover and to listen more + more.
That's what keeps me going these days...and not listening the mainstream metal (last releases of Priest, Maiden, or whatever bigger band it is...).
Knowledge Is Power
Yronbeast86

Post by Yronbeast86 »

There are so many great heavy/speed/thrash/black/power metal bands from the 80's and some from the early 90's who are a lot more interesting than a lot of overrated stuff that is out there today. The metal underground of the past has so many great jewels to offer and the titles of the demo's/band names were wild,inventive, had a do-it-yourself kind of approach to everything. There are still bands out there today (obviously) who use this method,but the feeling that you get from those obscurities from the past is so much better.
Cyrcka

Post by Cyrcka »

Yronbeast86 wrote:There are so many great heavy/speed/thrash/black/power metal bands from the 80's and some from the early 90's who are a lot more interesting than a lot of overrated stuff that is out there today. The metal underground of the past has so many great jewels to offer and the titles of the demo's/band names were wild,inventive, had a do-it-yourself kind of approach to everything. There are still bands out there today (obviously) who use this method,but the feeling that you get from those obscurities from the past is so much better.

It's precisely the same what I think about liking obscure Metal. I also add what my friend rumblefist wrote "the will to discover and to listen more + more".
whiteravenmetal

Post by whiteravenmetal »

Because it makes me feel superior than the other folks :P No but for real I'm a fan of quality Metal rather than "obscure" Metal so there is plenty of quality material under that denomination and here I am. There's also a lot of shit too but fortunately music is so extence that you will always find something good. Also as years pass by and you get tired of listening to the same bands you start digging the underground.