Unknown Bands from Lithuania and other Baltic States

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
lunaboy

Unknown Bands from Lithuania and other Baltic States

Post by lunaboy »

Don't know if this topic will be interesing for someone,but I would like to itroduce to you some bands from Lithuania(They never had a chance to record a proper LP because of political system back in that time).Scene in my country exist since 1979 when first Hard Rock bands like AUDRONASA,PLENTAS,SBS started to play here.In 1983-1984 first true Heavy Metal bands started to apeared: KARVES(Latter changed name to TIGER YEARS),PILIGRIMAS,KATEDRA,HOROSKOPAS,SEIFAS and more.But as I said earlier almost no one had chances for LP deal.These bands recorded some material and I can post it here if someone are interested,because in 80s they spreaded music by tape trading... Oh,and sorry for my fukking poor english. Also just 3 bands here have releases on vinyl(Hard/Heavy/A.O.R)

KATEDRA (2 LPs)
VOLIS (1 LP )
PLACKARTAS (1 LP this one is more or less A.O.R,melodic Hard Rock).

Here I'll post recordings of band PILIGRIMAS from 1985-1987 years.

Ebjoy or Hate it: http://rapidshare.com/files/64693818/Pi ... s.zip.html

Latter I can post more links to obscure recordings from Lithuanian Heavy Metal scene.Take care.
Mr Nuke

Post by Mr Nuke »

Thanks you very much! I'm busy by now but I try to write some feedback here in the next few days. Too many things to do, as usual...
Gott ist tot.
expect no mercy

Post by expect no mercy »

Thanx a lot!I've got only KATEDRA's albums so far.Looking forward for more Lithuanian stuff!
metalmaster

Post by metalmaster »

I think Piligrimas is a great band. I have some stuff of them, hope it is not the same songs of the link you gave us. Anyway, please upload more stuff from Lithuania, I'm addicted to bands like Kathedra and Piligrimas. thanx in advance.
great_knuthulhu

Post by great_knuthulhu »

Thanks. Always interesting to hear new bands and especially from neighbours :wink: A pity few bands from the Baltic nations were able to record and release albums in the 80s.
I know I ain't doing much,
doing nothing means a lot to me.
lunaboy

Post by lunaboy »

OK.Right now I uploaded D.I.Y Compilation of 80s Lithuanian Hard Rock/Heavy Metal bands.If some of you will be interested in particular band I'll post all info.But also I must warn you,of bad quality and fact that some of these bands in compilation have just a few recorded tracks.Thanks...

P.S These songs comes from 1985-1989 years,exept 9*

http://rapidshare.com/files/64937399/Li ... l.zip.html

Track Listing

1. SEIFAS-Instrumental (I have just this single instrumental Track)
2. TRYLIKA-Mes Dievai (The same situation as first band.Lithuanian Motorhead)
3. HOROSKOPAS-Mums pasiseks (Female fronted band.Have more stuff)
4. MEDIUMAS-Naujas Krikstas ( Have 6 or 7 songs,from different periods)
5. RAMYBES SKVERAS-Gryzulo Ratai ( This one is more Hard Rock sounding.More recordings also exist)
6. SBS-Menulio Sviesa (Cult band.They had to release LP on Melodia back in 89,but something turned in wrong way.Few songs from old recordings)
7. SVARAS-409-Aiskiaregys (Hard/Heavy band.have 8 songs)
8. TIGRO METAI (One of the first HM bands Here.Have recordings from different periods(Live/Studio,but very poor quality)
9.* VOLIS-Stars Of Beat (Comes from LP "Town Across The Fience" 1992)
Fucking Åmål

Post by Fucking Åmål »

KATEDRA are awesome.Simply one of a kind Soviet metal like Magnit,Credo.Does the other Lithuanian bands you suggest sound like Katedra?If yes i am highly interested.Anyway thanx for the info about Lithuanian scene!
lunaboy

Post by lunaboy »

Well,here nobody can beat KATEDRA to say the truth.Heavy/Power scene exist it's for sure,but all bands are on very averege level.You can try never bands like THUNDERTALE (They have self released CD) http://www.myspace.com/thundertale and SOUL BROTHERS (Debut Album should be out soon) http://www.myspace.com/soulbrotheriai . Also I'm desperaterlly searching bands from 80s TILTAS and 77.Both bands played IRON MAIDEN influenced Heavy Metal.Hope to get these recordings soon.
steelangel

Post by steelangel »

I have the 1st SBS album and I like the music despiste the fact that the singer is often out of tune .... Pretty good Power metal in early Yngwie malmsteen style
Metalipeiklo

Post by Metalipeiklo »

Great thread. Here's a little live review of SBS and THUNDERTALE I wrote yesterday.

THUNDERTALE, SBS, ROJAUS TUZAI, Kaunas, 1 december 2007
Was at a gig in Kaunas yesterday, the second city in Lithuania and the country’s centre for organized crime, drug production, prostitution and similar. Opening this night was THUNDERTALE, a local act that’s quite well known in Lithuania. Earlier I had a feeling that THUNDERTALE is a bit too wimpy and generic, like playing Eurovision songs in metal versions. But THUNDERTALE surprised me, some of their compositions are really powerful and the fact that they have two singers adds to the whole impression. One or two songs into the set the band was joined by a figure who has to be among the top three in cool metal personalities in Lithuania: a forty-something man whose hair looks like a jungle, he’s playing some kind of homemade flute made of horn and in between he gazes at the audience like a satanic psychopath raising the devil’s mark! In the end of their set THUNDERTALE unfortunately go for their weaker moments and perform some of their mainstream songs. Luckily the flute psychopath doesn’t take part in this as it wouldn’t do him justice. At times I was also a bit worried about the posing onstage. One of the guitarists adjusted his hair a tad too many times. Anyway, if THUNDERTALE would skip the radio friendly songs and care a little less about their looks, there could be something here. Next onstage: the mighty SBS! SBS for sure don’t give a shit about their appearance. They’ve been around since 1979 and got nothing to prove. Enter rock n’ roll circus! The frontman of SBS is in a way the Lithuanian equivalent of Ronnie James Dio, however not really with the same voice calibre. What SBS offers is – unfortunately with a sound that doesn’t do them real justice – top class hard rock entertainment. Last band to play tonight is ROJAUS TUZAI, fronted by the ex-KATEDRA singer Povilas Meskela. But no one wanted to see them, so we went home.
Fun records
deathster

Post by deathster »

I know Tiger Year, they played here in Tallinn in 1987.

Patriot like I am I have to mention Estonian band called G.G.G. or Gunnar Grapsi Grupp. Check them out you heavy metal mainax!
deathster

Post by deathster »

Festival flyer that was held in 1987 in Tallinn:
Metalipeiklo

Post by Metalipeiklo »

That seemed to be an awesome Soviet Union festival... lots of bands I haven't heard about. And Gunnar Grapps Group is a good band, got both their albums. "Pölemine" is recommended!
Fun records
deathster

Post by deathster »

Yes it was great festival. I visted last day because I wanted to see (especially) Black Coffee (Tshorni Kofe) but they did not come. Instead AVGUST played. I still remember SHAH from that day. For that particular time and place they were HEAVY and thrashing.
deathster

Post by deathster »

Metalipeiklo wrote:That seemed to be an awesome Soviet Union festival... lots of bands I haven't heard about. And Gunnar Grapps Group is a good band, got both their albums. "Pölemine" is recommended!
GGG has essential triple CD box available. A must to have release !