Master Of Puppets

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
The Sentinel

Master Of Puppets

Post by The Sentinel »

Here we go. What do you think of Metallica's "Master Of Puppets"? A shitload of people claim it as one of the best and most influential albums of all time, even Dream Theater seems to have covered the whole album and performed it live (I don't like Dream Theater :? ). IMO there are some nice tunes on it like Orion and Battery, but I've never liked it that much. A quote from Wikipedia:

Rolling Stone magazine ranked Master of Puppets at number 167 on its list of the 500 greatest albums of all time,[2] while Time named it one of the 100 greatest albums of all time.[3] Another list compiled by Metal-Rules of the top 100 metal albums placed it at number one[4] as did IGN's list of the top 25 metal albums.[5] The album is also included in the book 1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die

This album seems to be worshipped at an insane level as no other album. Well, what the HELL is so legendary about it?
Long Live The Loud !!!
King Zombie

Post by King Zombie »

I was being ironical, whenever many people thinks of thrash, the only two names they come up with are Reign In Blood or Master of Puppets. :P :twisted:
Keep politics OUT of this forum
Helm

Post by Helm »

It's not a thrash album for me, it's a Heavy Metal album (lots of NWOBHM and prog rock influence). It's absolutely a great album for me, hugely influential and with lasting qualities.
The Sentinel

Post by The Sentinel »

Not only thrash. People put it alongside Judas Priest: Sad Wings Of Destiny and the likes, why? I know it's eventually a matter of taste but somehow this album seems to have done the same thing with the music world as for example Black Sabbath in the beginning and I really don't see why. If I have to rate it I would give not more then 5/10.
Long Live The Loud !!!
Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

The Sentinel wrote:Not only thrash. People put it alongside Judas Priest: Sad Wings Of Destiny and the likes, why? I know it's eventually a matter of taste but somehow this album seems to have done the same thing with the music world as for example Black Sabbath in the beginning and I really don't see why. If I have to rate it I would give not more then 5/10.
It didn't have much influence. But they came with the Black album and for mainstream music lovers that liked that album, MOP was a huge stepping-stone for them into (thrash)metal in general.
sovdat

Post by sovdat »

Excellent album with awesome, over the top lyrics, which weren't topped even til 2007, not to mention being written in 1986 next to Pleasure to Kill stuff and the likes.

Hell is worth all that, natural habitat
just a rhyme without a reason
Neverending maze, drift on numbered days
now your life is out of season

# 2 album in my book, topped only by Twisted into Form.
mordred

Post by mordred »

It's a timeless masterpiece, for sure a 10/10, and probably one of the ten best albums ever made. In my opinion it's a trash metal album in every respect, and the best one ever at that.
Chroming Rose “Pressure” LP found! :D
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

It's a superb Metal album no doubt, 7/10, and the first Metallica album I bought (or actually I think I got it as a birthday present back in '86) but I still hold "Kill 'em All" and "Ride The Lightning" higher. The hype around this album I would ascribe to it being at the right place at the right time rather than an it being an immortal masterpiece. There's lots of superior Thrash albums made both before and after.

..and I never liked the production much. Really dry and sort of compressed - not exactly jumping out of the speakers if you know what I mean.
The Sentinel

Post by The Sentinel »

Guess I'm in the minority :lol: In the end it's all a matter of taste but it will never enter my top 500
Long Live The Loud !!!
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

1) Who gives a fuck about what Dream Theater are doing?

2) Metallica never were among my favorite bands. I can't even call them ''great''.

3) "Kill'em all" is their best, although they stole the whole Nwobhm + Anvil there. The only album i give 10/10.

4) "Battery" is the only track from MOP that actually slays. "Leper Messiah" is shit, "Disposable ..." is fucking boring, only half of "Orion" is worth etc, i really don't know why people are praising this album and this band generally so much. And as Sten said, if i ever tried to make a top-500 list of my favorite albums, MOP wouldn't have a place there. Or better make that top-1000. Shit happens, you can't love every so-called classic band that exists.

EDIT:
The album is also included in the book 1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die
I just saw that :lol: :lol: :lol: (VERY LOUD THOUGH)
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
Nightlock

Post by Nightlock »

ION BRITTON wrote:1) Who gives a fuck about what Dream Theater are doing?

2) Metallica never were among my favorite bands. I can't even call them ''great''.

3) "Kill'em all" is their best, although they stole the whole Nwobhm + Anvil there. The only album i give 10/10.

4) "Battery" is the only track from MOP that actually slays. "Leper Messiah" is shit, "Disposable ..." is fucking boring, only half of "Orion" is worth etc, i really don't know why people are praising this album and this band generally so much. And as Sten said, if i ever tried to make a top-500 list of my favorite albums, MOP wouldn't have a place there. Or better make that top-1000. Shit happens, you can't love every so-called classic band that exists.

EDIT:
The album is also included in the book 1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die
I just saw that :lol: :lol: :lol: (VERY LOUD THOUGH)
Pretty much totally agree here, with ION BRITTION and The Sentinel. Master Of Puppets is okay as are the other 80's Metallica releases but they have nothing on the other "Big Four"'s best albums; Fistful Of Metal, Show No Mercy and Peace Sells. Give me those three albums anyday over anything Metallica have done.
"On your knees
Into the night that you'll never remember"
Brainbiter

Post by Brainbiter »

Master of Puppets is one of those 10/10 albums in Heavy Metal for one trully simple reason that beats up the thin sound, bad drumming and the additional 2 min to Disposable Heroes: it could have been released tomorrow. Songwriting is free from that 80's metal quality that other great albums like Show No Mercy or Peace Sells have, thus making it a true classic and not just a great heavy metal album that is a product of its time.

Kill 'em All was the right album at the right time and place.
Ride The Lightning showed some of the songwriting class to come but tracks like Escape were '80s metal tracks, fun to listen too and enjoy but not really transcending beyond their times.
And Justice for All is one of those "could have been" albums. I love it best for my own reasons.
"The destruction of a thousand billion sea creatures to satisfy man's appetite for metal is insane"

Days Of The Locust. My blog o' movies.
Keir

Post by Keir »

I think Master of Puppets is an excellent album, but also a step down from Ride the Lightning. That's the album that deserves all the praise that Master usually receives.
Helm

Post by Helm »

You say worse than the other 'big four'. It terms of 'FULL ON THRASH' sure. But Metallica's Master of Puppets is more important than the offerings of the 'big four' at that time exactly because it transcends the limitations of the thrash format. It's a great HEAVY METAL record exactly because it hits many moods, many feelings without being unfocused or wishy washy.

You might not put it on when you want thrash mayhem for 45 minutes but... that's not what it was made for.

...And Justice for All is also my favourite Metallica offering, however.
Nightlock

Post by Nightlock »

Helm wrote:You say worse than the other 'big four'. It terms of 'FULL ON THRASH' sure. But Metallica's Master of Puppets is more important than the offerings of the 'big four' at that time exactly because it transcends the limitations of the thrash format. It's a great HEAVY METAL record exactly because it hits many moods, many feelings without being unfocused or wishy washy.

You might not put it on when you want thrash mayhem for 45 minutes but... that's not what it was made for.

...And Justice for All is also my favourite Metallica offering, however.
It's a good album sure it just doesn't do that much for me. Back to the issue of personal taste I guess, I know it was significant release for metal as well. If I was to rate it out of 10 it would maybe be a 7/10 or 6 :? has a few killers on it, Also signifies a James Hetfield finding a more permanent vocal technique.
"On your knees
Into the night that you'll never remember"