Master Of Puppets

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

Abyss wrote:Oddly enough I got banned from metal archives for anti ultraboris sabotage on the metallica page, another user and I added a release called ultraboris loves s/t anger or something to that effect :lol:, one of his friends over at metal archives says he is no longer involved in the metal scene so I hope to never see any bullshit reviews from him again.
Great work! Most of his reviews are shit. I love his Metallica reviews though. :lol:
Abyss

Post by Abyss »

well giving master of puppets 0% is outrageous bullshit I don't care who you are.
Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

Abyss wrote:well giving master of puppets 0% is outrageous bullshit I don't care who you are.
It is. But he gave bullshit reviews and bogus scores to many releases. The Metallica ones just crack me up.
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

Black Axe wrote:
Abyss wrote:well giving master of puppets 0% is outrageous bullshit I don't care who you are.
It is. But he gave bullshit reviews and bogus scores to many releases. The Metallica ones just crack me up.
He had given outrageous marks to VoiVod releases, saying that's the type of music he used to listen on FM radio beginning of 80's. The content of first half of sentence is blasphemy while the second implies loss of contact with reality. Sanatorium may greeted him already.
I am ... the One you warned me of
The Sentinel

Post by The Sentinel »

Noisenik wrote:
He had given outrageous marks to VoiVod releases, saying that's the type of music he used to listen on FM radio beginning of 80's. The content of first half of sentence is blasphemy while the second implies loss of contact with reality. Sanatorium may greeted him already.
Indeed blasphemy. He should not rate that, people could be turned off. I always wondered how that Ultraboris-person could have a thrash-boner and at the same time give abysmal ratings to Sacrifice "Torment In Fire", Destructor LP, the Exciter works etc
Long Live The Loud !!!
necronomicon

Post by necronomicon »

I think that Master of Puppets is an excellent album it is a masterpiece
one of the most influential albums of all years.I have listen this thousand of times i think οone of the uppermost albums.
The Erlking

Post by The Erlking »

I think all of their first four albums are ok but the only one I actually still listen to time after time is Kill 'Em All.
"The very Hemoglobin of a persons blood is based on IRON! The same Iron in the earth that you turn into STEEL, that is in everyone." -Michael Coffey, Stone Vengeance
J.K.

Post by J.K. »

This album is a strong mix of Heavy Metal, Prog Rock and Thrash Metal.

It defies categories, it's 100% Metallica. To my knowledge it has never been remastered and today it still rocks without pushing the volume so far. I think in 1986 it litterally blasted your houses.

Songwriting is super-great (catchy, innovative, technical, inspirationnal), musicians are terrific, etc etc.

I maybe prefer Ride The Lightning for the darker and angrier atmosphere, but Master of Puppets got the "MASSIVE MASTER PIECE" seal carved on it, for ever (and ever), and it is deserved.

As for influence, the SOUND and the recording (multi layering guitars) did a lot for Metal.

For me Metallica was one of the bands that truly build the 80's Metal sound, and the traditionnal Metal sound.

As I said, 25 years later, their sound is still actual and powerful. That means they were "666 steps ahead" when they record their stuff.
"We do what we do, and we put it out, if you want to buy it, buy it.
if you dont, fuck off." -Lemmy Kilmister

http://www.myspace.com/blackhammerftw
GJ

Post by GJ »

Off topic/on power: I listened to Uriah Heep's Look at Yourself album a couple of days ago. Man, I still can hear the thunder roll!
J.K.

Post by J.K. »

Helm wrote:
Now come on, I respect your position, but this is making a huge leap and you know it isn't justified.
Well from my point of view a lot of the stuff people idolize in here doesn't stand up to inspection, but gets special treatment because it's rare and obscure. This isn't a huge leap then, to suggest that if MOP was rare and obscure, it would be treated far more favourably.
Plenty here also praise OTHER albums by Metallica. So why does Metallica supposedly provoke a "knee-jerk reaction" from obscurity-loving elitists, and especially this album, but not RTL and KEA ?
Well we should ask these people that consider MOP worthless if they like any other albums by Metallica. And why does metallica get the kneejerk reaction? Because they're the absolutely biggest metal band in the world, everybody knows them, and this is hard to swallow for 80's purists. No other band comes close to that saturation.
Could it possibly be because we actually do find Master Of Puppets boring, lifeless, and despairingly average ?
I am sure some honestly do. Some others probably do not.
I am 200% agree with all Helm's posts in this thread hehe.

And I know tons of "true metalheads" that hate famous bands and goes like "Rose Tattoo is great, AC/DC is shit" :roll:

I don't know if there is guy like that here, I don't care and don't judge, but that's true that Metallica are "the most"... in the metal world.

this is the only metal band listened buy millions of non-metalheads ("thanks" load and reload for that), that clearly sucks, but I still love their 80's career hehe.

And they weren't luckier than an obscure band, they're just extra-great musicians. Kirk Hammett influenced all the Thrash bands with his very personnal guitar solo skills (especially the Germans).
"We do what we do, and we put it out, if you want to buy it, buy it.
if you dont, fuck off." -Lemmy Kilmister

http://www.myspace.com/blackhammerftw
Heathen

Post by Heathen »

I understand one may or may not consider it a masterpiece, but rating it at 5/10 is way too harsh.

Myself, I like Ride The Lightning and AJFA... more, because not all songs on MOP are down my alley.
Moonchild

Post by Moonchild »

Not their best but still a great fuckin album. Anyone who denies that should get beheaded with a butter knife. And UltraBoris was/is a major douchebag. The guy was so full of himself.
Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

I just can't enjoy the album very much. It's mostly the sound and performance I'm not fond of, rather than the music/style.
elthelym

Post by elthelym »

MOP was born in 1985-1986. I cant remember listening to any other band playing thrash so heavy and technically at this time. A marriage of thrash with melodies and heavy riffs.YES, this is the original early-mid 80s american thrash metal scene. RESPECT!
Witchkiller

Post by Witchkiller »

used to listen to it alot when i was around my late teens but it "doesn't do it" for me anymore. I think K.E.A. is their best lp , a 10 outta 10 'cause it's the kind of dirt metal i like best while R.T.L. comes a "not so close" second.
All i need is a lady
With more than the average size