The bad,the worst and the cult...Covers!

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
anthares

Post by anthares »

+that godamnawful logo!
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

anthares wrote:I would post ROTOR (hun) album cover here but cant find it now.

Here it is. One of my favourite "uglies".
pentagramophone

Post by pentagramophone »

I can't help but for me ARTILLERY always stands above the rest in this category.

One badly drawn and tacky humour cover that hasn't been brought up yet is MELISSA's "A Flight to Insanity" 7". If someone can post it here, please do.
tbieri

Post by tbieri »

You will laugh !!! This one is called SPRUT ant it is very good Melodic Metal from Russia !
The guy on the Cover (Victor Vekshtein) is the producer, manager and writer of the Songs ! How can you publish a Metal Record with a Cover like this ???

This is the Cover from their 7"-Single !
I dont know, but the thing looks like a Project-Thing ! A producer takes 3 Metal-Musicians and female Classic-Music-Singer, let them play his songs and hopes to makes some money ! But surprisingly this Record is very good !!!
This stuff is similar to OLGA ROZHNOVA AND VOYAGE or TATIANA KOTCHERGINA AND XX VEK ! Just a bit heavyer and especially better !
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

SPRUT are awesome! Didn't know they made a 7" though - gimmie gimmie gimmie!
tbieri wrote:I dont know, but the thing looks like a Project-Thing ! A producer takes 3 Metal-Musicians and female Classic-Music-Singer, let them play his songs and hopes to makes some money !
A very common phenomenon in Russian rock. The fantastic MAGNIT/CREDO were also under the iron fist of one of these "Band Leaders". The west should learn from this. Not enough discipline in the Metal scene over here 8)
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

Fukk! I'm confused! The second one from the left is he a man or a woman?
:shock: :shock: :shock:
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
tbieri

Post by tbieri »

ION BRITTON wrote:Fukk! I'm confused! The second one from the left is he a man or a woman?
:shock: :shock: :shock:
She's a man !
Fucking Åmål

Post by Fucking Åmål »

Never seen again these Russian bands i find so strange that someone from Switzerland knows these type of bands.I mean these bands maybe only known to the eastern block or so.Can you give us more infos about these bands or more 80's u.s.s.r bands.I know a site of Russian metal but it is only in Russian.
tbieri

Post by tbieri »

Fucking Åmål wrote:Never seen again these Russian bands i find so strange that someone from Switzerland knows these type of bands.I mean these bands maybe only known to the eastern block or so.Can you give us more infos about these bands or more 80's u.s.s.r bands.I know a site of Russian metal but it is only in Russian.
Ooops ther are too much !!! The good thing on Russian Band is, that you can get the records for few money ! :D
The are 2 sites in russian where you can download many mp3's of the old stuff ! The best is here ! You just have to click around a bit !!! Start here and click first on the Vinyl !
http://www.metalrus.ru/plug-e-files-c-farchive.html

Some nice bands :
ARIA - Very good metal like Iron Maiden
Discography abd some reviews are here :
http://rateyourmusic.com/artist/%D0%B0% ... ria___rus_
AVGUST - their second has half very good and hald avarage songs !
Discography is here :
http://www.metalrus.ru/page-al-avgust-pg-2.html
VARVAR (BARBAR) - see review at "The Corroseum" !
MAGNIT - see review at "The Corroseum" !
BLACK COFFEE - Good Melodic Heavy Metal
http://rateyourmusic.com/artist/black_coffee
FIRST AID - Like Accept, good stuff, but the singer sounds worse than UDO
http://rateyourmusic.com/artist/%D1%81% ... first_aid_
TATIANA KOCHERGINA & XX VEK - Good Melodic Hard Rock with heavy Guitar, Quite strane mix of Melodic Hard Rock with a guitarist who seems to play too heavy for this music, but this makes it very interesting.
You can find everything on the Metalrus link !
MONOMAKH - Very good melodic Hard Rock / Heavy Rock
You can find everything on the Metalrus link !
NOVY ZAVET (NEW TESTAMENT) - Good Doomy Metal
OLGA ROSZNOVA & VOYAGE - Nice melodic Metal
Look at THIS cover !
Thats it for the moment ! You have enough to do with surfing through the metalrus site ! Enjoy !
Fucking Åmål

Post by Fucking Åmål »

Thank you so much.Russian metal is underrated so everyone must have a chance to hear some good 80´s bands. 8)
Keir

Post by Keir »

tbieri wrote:OLGA ROSZNOVA & VOYAGE - Nice melodic Metal
Look at THIS cover !
http://img392.imageshack.us/img392/7494 ... ovafu8.jpg
I see nothing wrong with that cover! :wink: Are they on that metalrus site? I was actually thinking of buying that one (was outbid on eBay once) but I'd like a better idea of how they sound first.

Here's one that I didn't realise how bad it is until I actually owned a copy. I had only seen small scans and had this idea that the guys in the background were 2 cops arresting a metalhead, and the guy in the foreground was some sort of metal vigilante come to rescue him. In reality, it's just 3 guys playing air guitar (2 of them have motorcycle helmets, which is why I thought they were cops). This makes the guy in the foreground watching them all the more perplexing!
tbieri

Post by tbieri »

Keir wrote:
tbieri wrote:OLGA ROSZNOVA & VOYAGE - Nice melodic Metal
Look at THIS cover !
http://img392.imageshack.us/img392/7494 ... ovafu8.jpg
I see nothing wrong with that cover! :wink: Are they on that metalrus site? I was actually thinking of buying that one (was outbid on eBay once) but I'd like a better idea of how they sound first.

Here's one that I didn't realise how bad it is until I actually owned a copy. I had only seen small scans and had this idea that the guys in the background were 2 cops arresting a metalhead, and the guy in the foreground was some sort of metal vigilante come to rescue him. In reality, it's just 3 guys playing air guitar (2 of them have motorcycle helmets, which is why I thought they were cops). This makes the guy in the foreground watching them all the more perplexing!
Yeah ! This cover is really ridiculous ! The OLGA ROSZNOVA-Cover is half ridiculous, half nice, i don't no what to think about !
You cannot find the OLGA ROSZNOVA & VOYAGE on "metalrus" but here you can find 2 songs !
http://www.robinvood.ru/audio.htm
Scroll down to the older songs, the 3rd ist from the LP (it's one of the softer ones but also one of the good ones) and the 4th from somewhere else (I don't know where). Look at this text : ВОЯЖ и О. Рожнова
Since you can hear SPRUT and XX VEK and OLGA ROSZNOVA is somewhere in the middle ! It's quite melodic stuff but has this typically russian epic feel !

If you want i have one copy to trade or sell !
I also have :
FORMULA 1, AVGUST (both), HARD DAY, LEADER, SHELESNY POTOK, GALAKTIKA, RED SQUARE and ARIA (Krow sa krow).
But i will not be able to send the before 10 days, because i will be in holidays next week !
msp

Post by msp »

well, they are not metal - apart from the Manowar one but look here for some of the worst album covers ever

http://www.deepswitch.net/worstcovers.html
Ryacus

Post by Ryacus »

This one isn't metal either but damn this is gotta be one of the worst.
Image With that said this just goes to show the worst metal covers still look good compared to other genres.
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

The ANGEL CRASH 7'' cover is fuckin' cult! This kind of artwork sends goosebumps all over me!
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart